Abe Speak is a free Oddworld app for iOS under development by Just Add Water, expected to be released in the next couple of months. It is not counted as one of the four ‘Oddworld Inhabitants-based projects’ JAW expect to release in 2011.
In August 2010, Xavier speculated on the Oddworld Forums that one of the five projects Just Add Water were claiming to be working on was an iPhone port of Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, refering as evidence to an image tweeted by JAW in June, and to the July PSNation Podcast interview with Stewart Gilray. Gilray commented in Xavier’s thread saying only ‘I love speculation :-)’.
The tweeted image, published with the hashtag ‘#secretproject’ three weeks earlier than JAW’s announcement of working with Oddworld Inhabitants, appears to depict the corner of what Xavier interpreted as an app icon using the image of Abe in front of Abe’s Moon that was published on the home page of JAW’s website.
When asked in the PSNation Podcast what Just Add Water were doing apart from Gravity Crash, Gilray produced the sound of Abe’s Oddysee’s main menu and Abe saying ‘Hello’ and ‘Follow me’. Xavier and Nate interpreted this as Gilray’s generating the sounds on his iPhone, which has been confirmed by Gilray.
In February 2011, Stewart Gilray tweeted two images of Abe Speak. The first shows Abe chanting on an adaptation of the Abe’s Oddysee GameSpeak menu screen. The GameSpeak words have no buttons next to them (being presumably activated using touchscreen), and there is an information symbol in the bottom-right corner. The second image shows the loading screen from Abe’s Oddysee adapted to say ‘Abe Speak is loading so get over it!’.
Gilray has further revealed that the images were from a free iOS app called Abe Speak that had been finished for over a year but remained unpublished because planned changes to it were put to one side in favour of more important jobs (likely referring to the Oddboxx).
- Gilray, Stewart (27 February 2011). Answer to question by The Brewmaster. Formspring.
- Just Add Water (24 February 2011). ‘Positions Available for Oddworld Projects’. News. Just Add Water website.
- De Coster, Xavier (6 August 2010). ‘Abe on the Iphone?’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Just Add Water (24 June 2010). ‘http://twitpic.com/1znf1g hmmmm #secretproject’. Twitter.
- Gilray, Stewart (15 July 2010). Interview by Glen Joel Josh. ‘Portable Gravity’, 22·00. Episode 173 of PSNation Podcast. PSNation Podcast.
- Gilray, Stewart (6 August 2010). Post 12 in ‘Abe in the Iphone?’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Just Add Water (16 July 2010). ‘JAW & Oddworld - K.I.S.S.I.N.G.’. News. Just Add Water website.
- Just Add Water (16 July 2010). Image. Home. Just Add Water website.
- Nate (27 February 2011). Post 37 in ‘Just Add Water releasing four Oddworld titles this year’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Gilray, Stewart (27 February 2011). ‘@Buncible yup :)’. In reply to William Bunce-Edwards (27 February 2011). ‘@stewartgilray When you made those Abe noises on your interview with PSNation, was that you using Abe Speak?’. Twitter.
- Gilray, Stewart (26 February 2011). ‘Thought I'd share something that has been finished for almost a year now. #Oddworld http://yfrog.com/hsq4dafj’. Twitter.
- Gilray, Stewart (26 February 2011). ‘Here's another ... http://yfrog.com/h2sgbcvj’. Twitter.
- Gilray, Stewart (26 February 2011). ‘@russianbox that pick is from a FREE iOS app called "Abe Speak"’. Twitter.