Max the Mug (real name William Bunce-Edwards) is an Oddworld fan, co-owner (with Xavier) of the Oddworld Library and co-administrator (with Nate) of the Oddworld Forums. He is currently studying Environmental Science at the University of Sheffield, enjoys playing the trombone and swing dancing, and has been vegan since October 2006.
Oddworld fan history
Max got an original PlayStation on Christmas Day 1997, and on Boxing Day 1997 played the Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee demo on the demo disc that came with it; he got the game in the summer of 1998. It wasn’t until he recognized Mudokons in a magazine he was flicking through that he realized he was a true fan. He joined the GT Interactive Software message boards in 1998 as skELUMton, (getting Abe’s Exoddus on Easter Sunday 1999), but along with the other regular posters moved to the Exoddus Club when activity on the GTIS boards died down, joining as billy_squeek on 12 February 2000. Max the Meetle joined the Oddworld Forums on 4 June 2000, changing his screen name to Max the Mug when the Forums moved to Ultimate Bulletin Board.
Max first came to the attention of Oddworld Inhabitants when he emailed Alf with a collated list of errors regarding the Oddworld Map and was in return made Fan of the Month February–March 2003 on the official Oddworld website.
Max began being called ‘The Oddworld Dictionary’ and ‘The Oddworld Encyclopedia’ at least as far back as April 2001, although because the original ezboard Oddworld Forums are not well preserved the terms could pre-date this. The latter nickname became the more popular and longer lasting, being made Max’s custom title around September 2002 and remaining in use until June 2004, after which the term was used in discussions exclusively referring to his fansite. However, his custom status remained ‘Oddworld Encyclopædia’ until at least May 2006, and ‘The Oddworld Encyclopædist’ until at least May 2008.
Max’s first attempt at a fansite was a 2000 webpage on Xoom called ‘The Kennels’. It took the form of a conjoined twin Glukkon called Glasp taking the reader on a tour around the Kennels, which hosted one of each Oddworld creature known at the time. By 2001, the project changed to one more formally encyclopædic in nature called ‘The Scrabacombs’, but by 2002 this was renamed to ‘The Oddworld Encyclopedia’ to reflect his Oddworld Forums nickname. Despite numerous promises that the site was coming, only an FAQ appeared (in 2003) before The Oddworld Encyclopædia finally launched in April 2006—although the April Fools’ Day joke articles were little appreciated by members of the Oddworld Forums given the site’s long-awaited appearance.
By this time Max had already created OddBlog—originally a personal blog but quickly evolving into an Oddworld news blog—and had made plans to have it join with Xavier’s TOGG and Oddsville’s Oddworld Archives to form ‘The Shaman Network’. Although Xavier eventually assumed Oddsville’s role of creating the Archives and most component subsites were already public, the project—incorporating The Oddworld Encyclopædia and renamed ‘The Oddworld Library’—was formally launched simultaneously with the Encyclopædia.
- Max the Mug (19 February 2003). Fan of the Month February–March 2003. Alf’s Fan Odds N Ends. Alf’s Rehab & Tea. Official Oddworld website.
- Max the Mug (22 June 2004). Post 14 in ‘What made YOU buy your first OW game?’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Max the Mug (24 August 2001). Post 13 in ‘How did you find Oddworld Forums?’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Exoddus Club member list. Exoddus Club. Yahoo! Groups. (accessed 26 November 2010)
- Wayback Machine (1 September 2001). Archive of Profile for Max the Meetle. Oddworld Forums. ezboard.
- Max the Mug (14 April 2001). Post 20 in ‘Welcome to Oddworld General Discussion’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Oddworld Forums members (19 June – 25 August 2002). ‘first Oddworld mail!’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Oddworld Forums members (29 September – 3 October 2002). ‘Mop Of Oddworld’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Wayback Machine (22 March 2003). Archive of ‘What’s New’ February–March 2003. Official Oddworld website.
- Oddworld Forums members (19 February – 8 March 2003). ‘Oddworld site updated...HAHA, I beat the fans...!!’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Oddworld Forums members (1 – 3 March 2003). ‘Map of Oddworld’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Danny (19 April 2001). Post 15 in ‘rumours’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Max the Mug (17 April 2001). Post 19 in ‘hey! vital info on munch to be noted!’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- TheKhanzumer (23 September 2002). Post 11 in ‘Look at this pic.’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Xavier & Sekto Springs (21 June 2004). Posts 34 & 35 in ‘Centered around the poor side of Oddworld!’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Wayback Machine (4 May 2006). Archive of ‘Oddworld Questions and Answers III’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Wayback Machine (5 May 2008). Archive of ‘View Profile: Max the Mug’. Oddworld Forums.
- billy_squeek (2 July 2000). ‘My Webpage’. Exoddus Club. Yahoo! Groups.
- Max the Mug (22 April 2001). ‘Coming Soon - The Scrabacombs’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Max the Mug (7 April 2002). Post 10 in ‘There's more than one Shrink!?’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Cloverfield (24 June 2003). ‘Oddworld FAQs: READ’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Max the Mug (1 April 2006). ‘The Oddworld Library - grand opening’. Oddworld Discussion. Oddworld Forums.
- Max the Mug (17 August 2003). ‘OddBlog created’. OddBlog. Oddworld Library.